This is Kilawing na Hipon (Spicy Shrimp Ceviche). This is a variation of the common, Filipino style shrimp ceviche, Kilawing na Hipon. In this version, we add some serrano or jalapeno peppers to the mix to bring some heat into this dish. Give it a try. You will love it. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 1 pound of shrimp, steamed with shells removed and deveined
- 1 small bundle of radishes, thinly sliced and coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1-2 serano or jalepeno peppers, finely diced
- 3 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup of lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the shrimp into smaller pieces to begin your preparation.
- Combine the shrimp, radishes, cucumber, onions, and ginger in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the lemon and lime juice into the mixing bowl, then stir until all of these ingredients are well blended.
- Add the salt and a little black pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Now add the vinegar and half of the chopped pepper to the mixing bowl and mix the ingredients together again.
- Let this sit and soak in for a few minutes.
- Stir the ingredients again, then do a taste test to check the flavor.
- Adjust the flavor to your liking by adding the remaining pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Be careful not to add too much spice. The flavors will get stronger as this marinates.
- Stir the ingredients really well one last time.
- Then cover the mixing bowl and place it in the refigerator.
- Let this sit for about 30 minutes.
- Take the Kilawin out of the refigerator and transfer it to a serving dish.
- Best served with chips.
To speed up the slicing process for the radishes and cucumber, I used a mandolin slicer. This gives you a consistent thickness on the slices too. Also, when you go to add the vinegar and lemon juice, don’t add it all at once. You want to be able to adjust the flavoring of the mixture to your taste. So add it a little bit at a time.